Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Night, The Wind, The Silence and then...The Words

Standing near the threshold of the restricted area of the hostel building, I had a desire to trespass it. That thought transported me into a moment in the past and the memories of that beautiful night came rushing back like a cascade. I looked up at the crescent Moon playing hide and seek with the clouds. A beautiful star seemed to rest on one of the terminating points of the Moon's convex edges in an otherwise jewel-less, cloudy sky. It was not a placid night. Strong winds seemed to be promising to carry me away to a distant time. My hands instinctively reached for my pocket-diary and turned the pages for those words that had already been read a thousand times over. Words, that had come to me through an unknown force when my pen had moved on its own. Words, that had been written in a state of being possessed - possessed by an alien but beautiful emotion. Words, that were close to my heart because they had come from that beautiful night: " In life there are Karmic circles. There are some people whose energies are in sync with each other and they share a special bond which goes beyond rudimentary definitions. They immediately bond without knowing why. Those who find that connection are lucky...and there are people who do." As I read those words yet again, an inner completeness spread within me. It was a completeness that could not be understood beyond the circle of its experience...beyond me. It was a completeness which was unseen and silent but had the strength of an unspoken hope.

10 comments:

  1. very compact... very well written...!
    You seem to have a certain definitive manner of expressing.
    "an inner completeness spread within me": so you were seeking that...hmm...! some insecurities there!
    I really liked the last bit..."a completeness...(that) had the strength of an unspoken hope"
    Beautiful!

    p.s. : The only slip, I thought, was that it had a very careful neutral tone... the emotion seemed to subside in those words, somewhere! :)

    [Note that I am a simpleton and may be forgiven for any unlikely opinion!] :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Human beings tend to be insecure...the insecurities can be conscious as well as sub-conscious. Sometimes, the realization that you have been searching for something happens only when the search is complete.

    Yes! I wanted to be objective...even careful, hence the neutral tone!:)

    Opinions, remarks, crticism are welcome!Please feel free to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its beautiful... but I think it could be generalized to any two entities which need not be people. In context of people its about finding that one thing(another person/passion) which completes you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @gsiddharth: Thank you. You understood its essence. I believe that a written piece need not be entirely autobiographical for it to be honest. This one is an amalgamation of observation, imagination, fantasy and personal experience. And you are right, it could be as much about a 'passion' as about a 'person'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) So, Nivedita, what do u do? You into journalism or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @gsiddharth: No, I am not a journalist. Then, what do I do? Nothing of 'consequence'!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing of consequence.. Now why do I think that you are the butterfly which is gonna cause the tornado :-)
    Seriously, what do you do? Has to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @gsiddharth: I am a student of Indian cinema :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who isn't :-)
    Cmon be more specific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She meant it literally because commenting 2 years later, I have watched her play the lead character in Zee TV's show Bhagonwali - Baante Apni Taqdeer. And she was awesome.
    Coming to ur piece, it was beautiful. I have felt often da same way and I must say, da feeling is really lyke " a completeness which was unseen and silent but had the strength of an unspoken hope. "

    ReplyDelete